Community Center Project Tibetan School
Home About Us Programs News Events About Us Directory Support Contact

Immigrating to the US can be a lengthy complicated process. Some important links you should be aware of:

TCVUSCIS (US Citizenship and Immigration Services)
USCIS is the government agency that oversees lawful immigration to the United States of America. They establish immigration services, policies and priorities to preserve America's legacy as a nation of immigrants while ensuring that no one is admitted who is a threat to public saftey, and "adjudicate" (decide upon) the following petitions and applications of potential immigrants:

  • Immigrant visa petitions
  • Naturalization petitions
  • Asylum and refugee applications

Visit the USCIS website for more info:

TCVUS House of Representatives
Your local congressperson is a valuable resource, working for residents free of charge. Although they do not legally represent you, make any decisions about your case and can not expedite the process, they have certain privileges (which attorneys and ordinary residents do not have) and can directly contact USCIS to make inquiries should your case get lost which helps in keeping the process within the expected time frame.

Once you receive a receipt and an "A" number from USCIS, you can contact your local representative and request them to track your file. They are especially useful should your paperwork get lost in the mail, or does not arrive on time as expected. If this happens to you, you should contact your local representative immediately.

Click here to find your local representative.

Local Non-profit Organizations
The following list of local non-profit organizations that offer legal services for free or at minimal cost and known to have experience in political asylee cases:

Return to top

Consulate General of India
Covers Connecticut, Maine, Vermont, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Puerto Rico, Rhode Island, and Virgin Islands.

3 E 64th St
New York, NY 10065
(212) 774-0600
Get directions

Embassy of Nepal
N.B. Passport applicants from New York, New Jersey, and Connecticut States have to apply in the Nepalese Consulate Office in New York

Consulate of New York
820 2nd Av., Suite 17B
New York, NY 10017
(212) 370-4188
Get directions

Canadian Consulate General (New York City)

1251 Avenue of the Americas, Concourse Level
New York, New York 10020-1175
Tel: 1 (212) 596-1628
Fax: 1 (212) 596-1790
Get directions